Project WONDERLAND

2012

October

18-23 Design and printing of four example cards and a reverse design started this project.  I learned a great deal about the process of painting a lineart, designing the cards, and print quality.  The rushed print quality of a photo-printing service, though durable and glossy, required a great deal of precise personal labor to assemble.  The goal of a kickstarter to professionally print the deck of cards is planted.

27 ‘masterblankcopy’ a great deal of work redesigning the card border was done

28 rough drafts of each card were printed in black and white to annotate, deciding on compositional changes, and relate into four suits

31 ‘newmasterblankcopy’ completed and differentiated; it is the master file ensuring that each card is uniform by being the source of the consistent border, suit symbol, and numbering.  Every Tanniel art was composed into a card art within this massive .psd, then duplicated, saved, and layers selectively erased to create 55 individual files with the necessary layers.

November

1 Proposal submitted to have Project Wonderland (under title “You’re nothing but a pack of cards!”) as summation project of Advanced Drawing.

3 first two suits (black) saved as layered linearts (also the 3 neutrals).  I found in the first card-designing expidition that converting a black/white line drawing into a full-color painting requires areas of lineart to be changed.  The manner of this change was decided on blurring and decreasing opacity, so that the texture and saturation of the color beneath will be affected.  This process demands a great deal of layers and selective erasure, but I believe it will be rewarding in the final product.

Also recieved back proposal with notes.  Only issues were formatting-related.  DB believes in me, even when my projects seem outrageous.

4  this web post created as a tangible timeline.  the red hearts are done as layered linarts.  A note on the intent of layered lineart process.  I want some areas of the lineart to be intact and distinct as black lines, other lines are less important in the new kind of composition, and therefore their role is more subdued.  The process consists of having a full, intact layer, then making a copy, hinding the original, and erasing all of the least important lines or those lines that should show up very faintly on the second layer.  Then this layer is copied, and other areas are removed.  Areas that are erased last are 1. areas that will remain black (often the shoes), then 2. areas that will retain the lineart, possibly in a altered-color form, such as a. Alice’s dress, and b. facial details, c. the hair will undoubtedly be one of these areas.  Then priority goes from foreground to background.  The result is layers on top with exclusive small areas of detail, then a pyramid of progressively greater content.  The intent is to have the layers below the top ones that have color-changed lineart be translucent so that detail is built up by their layered-ness, and color can show through and be a major player.

5 preliminary research into the process of creating a successful Kickstarter campaign

Also finished the lineart layering.  Now to find out if the process works the way that I planned.  Always a little different than expected, but looks good.  Will be fun and time-intensive.

6  Finished first card painting: diamond queen “the SMALL HOUSE”.  I learned how to have a custom color palette in SketchBookPro, so work went much quicker than in my practice paintings.  Also did a good 95% of nine of diamonds “PIG BABY”.  Found that layered lineart process was a good investigation of the compositions, but not quite what I needed to do to prepare.  I need max 3, usually just two mutually exclusive lineart layers.  More important is the

7 Finishing touches on PIG BABY, also some research into the printing possibilities.  I’m determined to print these well, so they seem like fantastic ordinary playing cards.  I have an art deck of Anne Stokes playing cards that was really inspiring in that I have 53 fantastic quality small pieces of art for an affordable price.  I want these cards to be functional and beautiful (and quirky/true to the original story)!  From my preliminary investigations online, I found only options that would involve a large print run (100 minimum at least) costing several thousand dollars.  Today, I found a magician’s tutorial/infoshare about handmaking custom cards.  It is more time-intensive, for sure, but I’ll have better quality control with the same professional result.  It requires purchasing special cardstock, card-cutting, and corner-rounding tools, as well as the per-page print cost at wherever locally I find has the best 2-sided printing ability.   The cost of all these is much less and scales better, though, to my plan.  I can make oversise ‘tarot’ decks or poker decks or even tiny mini-decks as I please, which would be very interesting in a Kickstarter, especially since largeness and smallness are integral to the Alice theme.  I need to think about good titles and explanations of what I’m doing, however.  Also post some in-progress pictures.

Edited back art until good.

8 Worked on Lobster Quadrille

9 Worked on Lobster Quadrille

realize lineart needs fixing with new knowlege of working process, listen to Making Comics podcast with Kazu Kibushi.  It just needs doing anyway.

11 research playing card printing and materials, concoct printing questions for print venue interviews.  Decide that 2-sided printing will be best option IF accurate printing can be verified.  unsure if large sheets should be cut down, or if blank cards can be purchased and printed upon.  the large sheets are seemingly more difficult to obtain, but printing on the small cards could be more problematic (will find out after interviews and then later, tests at the 3 nearby printing options)  The precut would also mean that I would not have to cut corners, but seems more likely to have registration issues (just like school).

Indeed.  The local fedex and staples (UPS is closed Sundays) are unable to print on small cards.  I will have to see about getting those large sheets after getting more information (aka seeing) the water-resistant paper

Also realized some redesign is in order, because these cards are nearer average than Awesome.  Much more muchness is necessary.

15 MUCHNESS! Have been working my butt off the past few days and have actual cards! Need to get back to work, so can’t write now, but Progress Critique was fantastic! Seeing everyone’s pet project like show-and-tell was incredible.  Some people presented better than others, but I am stoked overall.  And super-excited to keep working!

GOALS

(Art)

material decisions: stock, location (tests)

the dimension question

radical redesign

paintings

(Kickstarter)

research printing costs

test handmaking process

create budget

create kickstarter movie and information

launch kickstarter

Posted by on November 5, 2012